I’d been working on updating an old php3 version of the Colossal Cave. Time and availability for other tasks (see: scanning 1958 radio & TV home study course…) got in the way. So I took the lazy-man’s way out.
The excellent Arthur O’Dwyer has generously allowed for posting (for historical recording, study, amusement and proliferation about the internet) on this website, his great translation of the original Crowther & Woods 350 point version of “Adventure”. The work is all his, and we all owe a debt to the Elders: Will Crowther and Don Woods.
I’m so lazy, I borrowed his whole page, so as to not damage the content. Visit Colossal Cave.
My first contact with “Adventure” was at Harris Corporation (Interactive Terminals Group), on Dallas Parkway. I walked into the computer lab (and showroom!) one day to see Kim Shrier busily porting the Fortran version to a Perkin-Elmer Interdata 7/16. (Kim may correct me, some day, if I have the machine wrong).
Finally got around to adding the ’73 Magazine’ data from KB9MWR’s list.
This has features similar to the ‘Ham Radio Magazine’ Search.
Updated (and hopefully, finished) the SB-630 update.
All Tubes and the Plate-Filament transformer were removed (and saved, for future tube projects). The clock was given to a local collector who prefers to keep his Heathkits original. The functionality replaced – and enhanced – by adding a Real-Time Clock (RTC) chip, a WWVB receiver and Arduino code to interpret the 1950’s era clock signal.
The WWVB receiver reads each ‘pulse’ of the signal and interrupts the Arduino (INT1) to add the ‘tick’ to the buffer. Once the whole signal is recieved, it can be interpreted as a date and time. The RTC pulses (INT0) each second in order to drive the display clock.
In addition, an LM35 sensor provides the current room temperature.
Original WWVB decode source from http://duinolab.blogspot.com/2009/06/arduino-cmmr-6p-60-almost-accurate.html (Capt Tagon) and all others who’ve improved this code. Website seems abandoned, but the source code is good. My alteration is to remove the timer interrupt (1000 times a second) which operates the 1-second tick and replace it with the square wave output (SQWE) signal from the RTC chip, a Maxim DS1307.
Added this to the website, under ‘Other Projects‘.
Mostly for personal use, this is in response to a posting on the ARF (AntiqueRadios.com Forums) regarding ‘how do you track what tubes you have’.
The inventory system keeps each user’s inventory separate, and draws from a common database of tube data (still building that common list, currently at around 450 tubes).
Some features include an ability to import from Excel (actually CSV exports from Excel), export back to Excel, print an inventory, keep (and print) a separate ‘shopping list’, and some searching facilities.
I really liked the Nuts & Volts Magazine project “Garage Parking Assistant” in January 2010, but I don’t ‘do’ Basic Stamp – no reason really, just not my favored platform and N&V seems to base a lot of projects on that platform.
So, I translated it to Arduino and replaced the Basic Stamp with a minimalist Arduino (Atmega 168, a clock resonator, a couple of resistors and capacitors, and an LM7805 voltage regulator). From there, code translation (BASIC to “C++”) was easy. I’ve written up a project listing and I make no originality claims and I’ve only provided a code translation.
I added some small calculators to the ‘Software’ link. While rebuilding a Heathkit V-7 VTVM, I just couldn’t find a good match for a couple of out-of-tolerance precision resistors in the divider network. So I built my own: a) Toroid Calculator and b)
Precision Resistor Calculator.